Environment Clearances of Kotli-Bhel HEPs challenged in NEAA
In the month of September, 2007 the Environment clearances of all three Kotli-Bhel Hydro Electric Projects phase 1 A, 1B and phase 2 have been challenged in National Environment Appellate Authority (NEAA). National Hydro Development Corporation is the project proponent of all these HEPs proposed in Uttarakhand. Although the past experience of other different cases filed in the NEAA is not so good but even then we gained something and made at least some pressure on the authorities. Most of you got the report of fake public hearings held for all these projects sent by us.
RITWICK DUTTA, RAHUL CHOUDHARY and PRIYABRATA SATAPATHY of Legal Initiative for Forest and Environment are the advocates for the appellants.Appellants of the appeal are:-
Kotli-Bhel HEP phase 1 A
1. Vimalbhai of MATU PEOPLES’ ORGANISATION
2. Rajendra Singh Negi of Gram Gorathi Khand
3. Trilok Singh Rawat of Village Nigar
Kotli-Bhel HEP phase 1 B
1. DR. BHARAT JHUNJHUNWALA of village LAKSHMOLI
2. VIMAL BHAI of MATU PEOPLES’ ORGANISATION
3. DEVKI DEVI of GRAM MALETHA
4. SUNDER SINGH NEGI of GRAM DIGOLI
Kotli-Bhel HEP phase 2
1. VIMAL BHAI of MATU PEOPLES’ ORGANISATION
2. GOVIND PRASAD of GRAM -SILSU
3. SAROJ RAWAT of GRAM NAUGOUN,
Mainly these are the prayers
- Immediately stay the clearance granted to the project.
- Stay on ongoing land acquisition process.
- Stay on ongoing construction work till a fresh and complete Environment Impact Assessment of the
project is undertaken.
- A proper EIA be done taking into account the all factors so that complete information is provided about
the nature of impacts due to the project and only after mitigative measures are taken should the clearance
to the project be considered.
- Public hearing conducted pervious be declared null and void and a proper public hearing be conducted
after following all the prescribed procedures and specifically directing that all required information and
documents be made available in local language (Hindi) at all the designated places.
Kotli-Bhel Hydro Power Project some information
Kotali-Bhel-1 Part A
Kotali-Bhel-I Part B
|5 K.M. above Devprayag||2and ½ K. M. above Devprayag||30 K.M. down from Devprayag|
|Height of the Dam in Meters from the foundation||75-6||90||82|
|Length of the reservoir||18-4 K.M.||27-5 K.M.|| |
|Land submerge||217-269 Hq.||502-347 Hq.||606-142 Hq.|
|Environment Clearance|| |
Devprayag is the confluence of Bhagirathi and Alaknanda River. Only after this River name is Ganga.