A movement of people uprooted from their soil in Uttrakhand
On 10th march workshop on Dam, Displacement and Uttrakhand held in Tehri. More then one thousand women and men attended this workshop. Veteran socialist Shri Surendra Mohanji presided over the workshop. Many prominent people from different parts of Uttrakhand and different walks of life participated in the workshop.
Welcome and introduction
1. Why Dams?
2. Dam- Environment; Displacement; Cost & benefits; Earthquake
Workshop began songs and poems.
- Welcome note by Shri Shelandra Nautiyal of Bhumidhar Visthapit Sangthan.
- Introduction of subject by Vimalbhai.
- Shri Himanshu Upadhay from Narmada Bachao Andolan talked about cost and benefit and also on Seismic issue of Dams.
- Well-known environmentalist Shri Sunderlal Bahuguna spoke about overall issue of Dams, water and what is required now.
- Shri Ravi Hemadri from Bisalpur Bandh Visthapit Samanvay Samiti expressed his views on displacement problem due to dams in Bharat and on the process of World Commission on Dams.
- Ms. Shivani Bhardwaj, working on housing rights told about the international treaties on housing rights.
- PUCL Uttrakhand president talked about human rights violation due to Tehri Dam.
- Prof. Shekhar Pathak spoke on the consequences of Dams in Uttrakhand with reference of Tehri Dam.
This session co-chaired by Adivasi leader of Narmada Bachao Andolan Shri Noorji Bhai Padvi. He was there as a symbol of struggle against Dams.
After Lunch Break………………………
Dams in Uttrakhand
Shri Kishore Upadhyay, State minister, M.L.A. from Tehri. Shri Subhodh (M.L.A.) and Shri Bisht (M.L.A.) welcomed by the organizers on behalf of the Tehri people. It was their first visit to tehri.
- Shri Shelandra Nautiyal gave an overview around Tehri Dam Project.
- Shri Mahipal Negi known journalist criticises the Govt.’s policies on rehabilitation of Tehri Dam oustees. He raises the issue of landowners of Tehri town.
- Ms. Kusum Uniyal, women leader warned new Govt. to be responsible towards people’s issue.
- Vimalbhai raised different questions related to Tehri Dam and Govt.’s claims.
- State Minister Shri Kishor assured that he will take up the rehabilitation issue with the C.M. of Uttrakhand. He asked for charter of demands.
- M.L.A. Shri Subodh and Shri Bist also supported people’s issues.
- In last chairperson Shri Surendra Mohanji emphasised on people’s power and policy for Himalaya. He said Govt. must be clear in there words.
A resolution passed by the workshop and also signed by State minister and two M.L.A.s.
The people have taken a Pledge.
The daylong workshop convene by Vimalbhai and concluded by songs sang by people’s movements representatives.
(Full detail of the workshop will be sent later)